Green-Schools is an international environmental education programme, offering a well-defined, controllable way for schools to take environmental issues from the curriculum and apply them to the day-to-day running of their school. The Green-Schools programme is run by FEE (Foundation for Environmental Education), and is known internationally as “Eco-Schools”. Green-Schools are now represented in over 53 countries from all over the world
Green-Schools is holistic. It aims to make environmental awareness and action an intrinsic part of the life and ethos of a school. Green-Schools endeavours to extend learning beyond the classroom and develop responsible attitudes and commitment, both at home and in the wider community.
Green-Schools is both a programme and an award scheme. The Green Flag award is now established as a well-respected and recognised eco-label.
There are many benefits to having the Green Schools programme in our school and these include:
- A way to build students confidence and sense of citizenship through participation
- To supply curriculum materials and ideas for projects and events
- To access a network of support agencies
- To link with other schools in Ireland and internationally
- To gain a prestigious award
- To provide local and national publicity
- For financial savings
- To reduce litter and waste
- To improve school environment
- To reduce energy consumption levels
- To involve the local community
Our Lady of Lourdes is committed to providing its students and staff with a clean and respected working and learning environment. The aim of the Green Schools programme and our committee is to make students, staff and the wider community aware of how their lifestyle choices affect the environment and to ensure that Our Lady of Lourdes continues as a green school into the future.
A team of enthusiastic, committed students make huge efforts to look at how our school can be more environmentally friendly and carry out green school initiatives during school. The school is currently working towards the Litter & Waste flag.