Our Lady of Lourdes Student Council
Our Student Council is a representative structure for students only, through which they can become involved in the affairs of the school, working in partnership with school management, staff and parents for the benefit of the school and its students.
Each September each class votes in a student to represent them on the council for the coming year. Training is provided in order to equip the student council members with the skills required to take an active part in the council.
Our student council has also worked to foster relationships councils from other schools in the area and is represented at Wexford Comhairle na nO’g meetings.
Our student council works with a liaison teacher, who is the link person between students and staff and management in the school.
The Student Council has responsibility for
- Working with the staff, Board of Management and Parents’ Association in the school
- Communicating and consulting with all of the students in the school
- Involving as many students as possible in the activities of the Council
- Planning and managing the Council’s programme of activities for the year
- Managing and accounting to the student council and Board of Management, for any funds raised by the Council
Student Council Activities
The Student Council is involved in many activities in the school. Here is a sample of some Student Council activities:
Standard Yearly Activities
- Liaising with principal and board of management on issues of concern to students
- Communication and co-operation with school staff
- Working with the parents’ council in school
- Co-operating with management and staff on the development of school rules and regulations
- Involvement in school planning
- Having a say in school policies e.g. anti-bullying policy, homework, substance use, mobile phones, healthy eating, code of discipline, uniform, school tracksuit, punctuality… Write up student friendly versions.
- Making suggestions about improving school facilities: locker areas, changing areas, showers, toilets
- Extra-curricular activities: or lunch time activities such as movie clubs, computer games clubs, chess clubs, language clubs, book clubs…
- Getting involved with the community e.g. inviting in senior citizens for help with mobile phones, internet, e-mail, recording from the television…, tidy towns
- Mentoring programmes for younger students, table quizzes…, poster competitions, guide to the school for new students, mental health awareness…
- Fund-raising: for things such as library books, sports equipment, defibrillators, outdoor benches, picnic tables, DVDs, to do up a lunch room, to buy posters, to plant flowers, to construct a garden of remembrance, to invite in speakers on different issues …
- Organising recycling in school: getting involved or introducing the Green Schools, running an anti-litter campaign, clean up an area of the school or helping out in the community on environmental issues
- Carrying out surveys and questionnaires on issues and reporting back to the school management with the gathered information.
- Organising social events: such as talent shows, fashion shows, battle of the bands, quiz events, sports tournaments …
- School newsletter / magazine: or putting together a school record for the year using photographs etc.
- Linking in with other Student Councils in the area and organising a meeting with a view to sharing ideas and maybe a joint project.
- Student award ceremonies, Student Council Award…
There are many more activities which a Student Council can be involved in. The Student Council should listen to the views of the students, the staff, the Principal and the Board of Management when drawing up its calendar of activities.
Officers of the Student Council
The Student Council appoint officers annually to run an effective Council. Below are some suggestions for officers and their roles
- Is the chief spokesperson and officer of the Student Council
- Calls meetings
- Chairs meetings in a fair manner ensuring that all have an equal say
- Has the casting vote if voting is divided equally
- Signs any letters, notices etc. that are issued by the Student Council
- Liaises with school management
- Ensures that the Student Council is run effectively and efficiently
- Prepares the agenda for each meeting with the Secretary
- Signs the minutes from the previous meeting with the Secretary, on acceptance.
The Deputy Chairperson
- Takes over the responsibilities of the chairperson when he/she is not available
- Assists the chairperson in the organisation of the Student Council
- Accompanies the chairperson to meetings when necessary.
- Prepares the agenda for each meeting with the Chairperson and in consultation with the other officers of the Council
- Circulates the agenda to all members in advance of the meeting or at the start of the meeting
- Takes minutes at meetings and writes them up
- Distributes/reads out minutes from previous meeting and on acceptance, signs them with the Chairperson
- Sends out letters and notice of meetings that will be held stating time and place
- Ensures that everyone is aware that meetings are being held
- Manages any funds raised by the Student Council
- Keeps financial records in order and reports to the Student Council on the current financial status of the group
- Makes a brief financial report at every student council meeting
- Provides the Council and Board of Management with a complete financial report at the end of the school year.
The Public Relations Team/Communications Officers
- Keep the whole school informed about the activities of the Student Council
- Keep notice boards updated
- Help produce the Student Council newsletter, if the school has one
- Take lots of photographs of Student Council activities to accompany any reports or notices for the board
- Promote good communications between the Student Council and students, teachers, school management and parents.
Student Council representatives 2023/2024
|1M||S Mullally K Corcoran|
|2M||F Murphy H Fortune|
|3M||J O’Shea R Belton A Miranda|
|TY||S Wickham C Walsh|
|5th year||D Rossiter S Connell|
|6th year||K Conway E Griciute|